Monday, May 18, 2009 Posted by Dina N
Lauren Gray Hawthorne needs to make things pretty, whether she's helping her mother keep family skeletons in the closet or sewing her acclaimed art quilts. Her estranged sister, Thalia, is her opposite, an impoverished actress who prides herself on exposing the lurid truths lurking behind middle class niceties.
While Laurel's life seems neatly on track-- a passionate marriage, a treasured daughter, a lovely suburban home-- everything she holds dear is threatened the night she is visited by the ghost of her 13-year-old neighbor Molly. The ghost leads Laurel to the real Molly, floating lifelessly in the Hawthorne's backyard pool. Molly's death is an unseemly mystery that no one in her whitewashed neighborhood is up to solving. Laurel enlists Thalia's help, even though she knows it comes with a high price tag.
Together, they set out on a life-altering journey that triggers startling revelations about their family's haunted past, the true state of Laurel's marriage, and the girl who stopped swimming.
Praise for The Girl Who Stopped Swimming
"A ghost story, family psychodrama, and murder mystery all in one. Jackson's latest is a wild, smartly calibrated achievement. A-." - Entertainment Weekly
"...spellbinding southern-gothic tale...." - Family Circle
Thanks to Hachette Book Group, I have FIVE copies of The Girl Who Stopped Swimming to give away!
To enter, please leave a comment below. Please make sure to leave your e-mail address if not visible in your blogger profile.
For extra entries, you can do one or all of the following - please leave a separate comment for each:
- tell me what was the last book you enjoyed reading;
- follow my blog (see right sidebar);
- subscribe to my feed by e-mail (see right sidebar);
- blog about this giveaway linking to this post and get 2 entries;
- email three people about this giveaway and copy me;
- follow me on twitter and leave your twitter name;
- tweet about this giveaway and comment with the link to your tweet – you can do this once a day;
- add this giveaway - or any of my current giveaways - to a Mr. Linky and let me know where to find it - you get two entries for every giveaway that you help promote, leave a separate comment for each;
- add my blog to your Technorati favorites (click on link or see right sidebar);
- enter another one of my giveaways and leave a comment you did.
Open to residents of U.S. or Canada only. No P.O. box addresses, please. One book per person. Winners will receive their prizes directly from Hachette Book Group. Book information was provided by the publisher.