Monday, May 11, 2009 Posted by Dina N
* Update: Check out my new review! *
The bestselling author of WHERE THE HEART IS returns with a heartrending tale of two children in search of a place to call home.
Lutie McFee's history has taught her to avoid attachments... to people, to places, and to almost everything. With her mother long dead and her father long gone to find his fortune in Las Vegas, 15-year-old Lutie lives in the god-forsaken town of Spearfish, South Dakota with her twelve-year-old brother, Fate, and Floy Satterfield, the 300-pound ex-girlfriend of her father.
While Lutie shoplifts for kicks, Fate spends most of his time reading, watching weird TV shows and worrying about global warming and the endangerment of pandas. As if their life is not dismal enough, one day, while shopping in their local Wal-Mart, Floy keels over and the two motherless kids are suddenly faced with the choice of becoming wards of the state or hightailing it out of town in Floy's old Pontiac. Choosing the latter, they head off to Las Vegas in search of a father who has no known address, no phone number and, clearly, no interest in the kids he left behind.
MADE IN THE U.S.A. is the alternately heartbreaking and life-affirming story of two gutsy children who must discover how cruel, unfair and frightening the world is before they come to a place they can finally call home.
Praise for Made in the U.S.A.
"A heartbreaking tale about love, loss and survival that will stick with the reader long after the last page is turned." --- Publishers Weekly (Starred Review)
"Gripping...unflinching...Letts's best work since her stunning debut novel." --- Associated Press
"Heartfelt...Letts is at the top of her game." --- Dallas Morning News
"Deeply moving and entertaining."--- New York Post
Thanks to Hachette Book Group, I have FIVE copies of Made in the U.S.A. to give away!
To enter, please leave a comment below. Please make sure to leave your e-mail address if not visible in your blogger profile.
For extra entries, you can do one or all of the following - please leave a separate comment for each:
- tell me what was the last book you enjoyed reading;
- follow my blog (see right sidebar);
- subscribe to my feed by e-mail (see right sidebar);
- blog about this giveaway linking to this post and get 2 entries;
- email three people about this giveaway and copy me;
- follow me on twitter and leave your twitter name;
- tweet about this giveaway and comment with the link to your tweet – you can do this once a day;
- add my blog to your Technorati favorites (click on link or see right sidebar);
- enter another one of my giveaways and leave a comment you did.
Open to residents of U.S. or Canada only. No P.O. box addresses, please. One book per person. Winners will receive their prizes directly from Hachette Book Group. Book information was provided by the publisher.