Wednesday, November 04, 2009 Posted by Dina N
I am not an expert on cosmetics but I know that soap made from goat milk feels great on my skin. I also use it with my daughter who is prone to eczema, and goat milk soap helps keep her skin moisturized.
Recently, I tried the goat milk soap of Happy Goats Soap, an Etsy shop. Patty, the owner of Happy Goats Soap, has four goats and uses their milk to make soap. Patty lives in beautiful Western Montana. The goats eat weeds, hay and oats, plus "goat treats" at night, like apples and carrots. Patty uses the cold process method and all her soaps are made in small batches. She does not add any dyes to the soap, and any differences in color between batches are due to chemical reactions from the fragrance oils or essential oils she uses. As Patty says, her bars are not perfect like you find in the store but they are full of good stuff!
Many of Patty's soaps are shaped like animals: chicks, penguins, cats, sea urchins, and so on. Other soaps bear the image of Pricilla, one of Patty's goats, or are shaped like a massage bar. Patty also makes traditional bars of three sizes: 3, 4 and 6 ounces.
I just have to mention some of the hilarious names Patty has picked for her soaps: Maaaaaaasssage Bar, The Chicks All Right with Pricilla (soap shaped like a chick), What Does a Penguin Have to do With a Goat Soap (soap shaped like a penguin) - these names will make you smile!
Patty sent me a sample of lavender soap and the unscented bar I picked for review. The unscented bar is shaped like a guinea pig and is one of Patty's massage bars. Besides goat milk, it also contains shea butter, cocoa butter, mango butter, olive oil, and apricot kernel oil to make a rich, delightful soap. These soaps are gentle on my skin and produce just the right amount of lather. The unscented soap has the slight aroma of goat milk, and the lavender sample smells wonderfully of - what else? - lavender.
Patty's soaps are priced between $4 and $6, depending on the size. She also has a weekend deal going on now: 4 oz bars 3/$11, 3 oz bars 3/$10, and 6 oz bars 3/$15.
Happy Goats Soap is providing my readers a with a 15% discount code on all items in the store! All you need to do is mention Just Another New Blog in the notes to seller on Etsy. Valid until 11/22. These soaps would make great Christmas gifts!
One lucky reader of Just Another New Blog will win their choice of a set of any 3 soaps from Happy Goats Soap!
To enter, please visit Patty's Etsy store and leave a comment below with your favorite three soaps.
For extra entries, do any or all of the following:
- visit Patty's other store, Broken Teepee Designs, where she sells beautiful gemstone jewelry, and tell me your favorite item;
- between now and 11/8, enter our giveaway for a $30 GC to Broken Teepee Designs and get 2 extra entries;
- follow Patty's blog;
- follow Patty on twitter;
- follow me on twitter and tweet about this giveaway – you can do this once a day, feel free to copy and paste: "Win a set of 3 goat milk soaps from Happy Goats Soap #Giveaway Ends 11/22 @aitmama @brokenteepee http://tinyurl.com/yz2gxb4" ;
- email three people about this giveaway and copy me;
- subscribe to my blog by e-mail and confirm your subscription;
- follow me on Google Friends Connect;
- follow me on Networked Blogs;
- be my friend on Facebook;
- drop your Entrecard - mine is on the left sidebar;
- add my link to your blog roll or my button to your sidebar - one entry for each;
- digg, stumble, facebook, technorati, etc. this giveaway - one entry for each;
- enter another one of my giveaways and leave a comment you did - you get one extra entry for each giveaway you enter.
* Apart from two soap samples, no compensation - monetary or in kind - has been received for this post. *