Saturday, November 21, 2009 Posted by Dina N
This year, Food Network star Sandra Lee and Grammy Award Winning Violinist Joshua Bell have partnered up to help you create the perfect Thanksgiving. Sandra Lee has created the perfect meal and a drink inspired by the music from Joshua Bell’s recent album At Home With Friends. This CD is the perfect accompaniment to your holiday meal. If you missed my review of At Home With Friends, you can read it here. For the ambiance, Joshua Bell is making available to you his full album to stream throughout your Thanksgiving dinner party. You can listen to it right here: Pop Up Audio.
Here is a scrumptious dessert recipe from Sandra Lee's book, Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Money Saving Slow Cooking:
Brownie Bottom Cheesecake
Prep 30 minutes Cook 2 1⁄2 to 3 hours (High) + 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours (Low) Chill 4 hours Makes 8 servings
Canola oil cooking spray
1 box (18.3-ounce) fudge brownie mix
2⁄3 cup canola oil
1⁄4 cup espresso-and-cream coffee drink
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese
1⁄3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cake flour
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Coat an 8 1⁄2-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Wrap foil around the bottom of cake pan. Crumple additional aluminum foil to create a “ring base” about 5 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together brownie mix, two of the eggs, the oil, and coffee drink until combined. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Place foil ring in bottom of slow cooker; pour 1⁄2 inch of hot water into bottom of slow cooker. Using 2 long strips of foil, make an “X” over foil ring and bring it up along the sides of slow cooker to assist removing pan from slow cooker. Place springform pan on top of ring and the “X” in slow cooker. Stack 6 paper towels; place over top of slow cooker bowl. Secure with lid.
4. Cook on High heat setting for 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours. (Do not lift lid for the first 1 hour of cooking.)
5. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Add sugar, flour, and salt; beat until smooth. Add the remaining two eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add cream and vanilla; beat until combined. Pour over brownie mixture in slow cooker.
6. Cover and cook for 1 1⁄2 hours more. Turn slow cooker to Low heat setting. Cook for 1 to 1 1⁄2 hours or until cheesecake is set with a wet-looking center. Turn off heat and let sit, covered, for 30 minutes.
7. Use foil strips to lift springform pan from slow cooker. Place pan on wire rack; let cool to room temperature. Chill in pan for at least 4 hours. Just before serving, remove cake from pan.
Excerpted from the book, Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Money Saving Slow Cooking, by Sandra Lee
Copyright © 2009 SLSH Enterprises, Inc. www.sandralee.com
Thanks to Sony Music, one of my readers will win a signed copy of Joshua Bell's album At Home With Friends!
To enter, please comment below how you will celebrate Thanksgiving - or any other holidays - this year.
For extra entries, you may do any or all of the following:
- tell me which Joshua Bell song is your favorite;
- follow me on twitter and tweet about this giveaway – you can do this once a day, feel free to copy and paste: "Win a signed copy of Joshua Bell's album At Home With Friends! Create the perfect holiday mood! @aitmama http://tinyurl.com/yk6skan";
- go here for additional ways to get extra entries.