Wednesday, September 15, 2010 Posted by Dina N
The Classics: All You Need To Know, from Zeus's Throne to the Fall of Rome by Caroline Taggart
It's no myth: Greek and Roman history has largely impacted Western society, yet learning about the classical world can often feel like a Herculean task. Enter The Classics. From Homer's Odyssey to the Midas touch, from a witty comedian's 'ad lib' to the "Alpha" male, in one entertaining book readers can fill in the gaps of their modern education. Sections include:
- Classical Languages: Learn the Greek alphabet, Latin expressions used in English, and English words with Latin and Greek roots
- Religion and Mythology: The Greek gods, lore about the Underworld, and the many myths
- Crete: The story of the Minoan civilization and the Minotaur
- Ancient Greek History
- Roman History
- Classical Literature: A look at major Greek writers, including Homer and his Iliad and Odyssey, and the Golden Age of Roman literature
- Architecture and Art: Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian architecture and the important Greek and Roman structures
- Math, Science, and Inventions: Get reacquainted with your favorite school bullies, including Pythagoras and Archimedes, learn the origin of the doctors' Hippocratic Oath, meet the odd Roman inventor named Hero, and learn about the Roman aqueducts and Greek baths
- Philosophy and the Liberal Arts: Examine the history of philosophers and philosophy, and take a look at logic, rhetoric, and grammar
- The Games: The Olympics, gladiators, and The Colosseum
My first encounter with author Caroline Taggart was about a year ago when I read her book I Used to Know That. It never ceases to amaze me how she and the other authors featured in the Reader's Digest Blackboard Books manage to fit so much useful information in such a small volume. This book, just as the others in the series I've read so far, is a reference book written very accessibly and with a remarkable sense of humor. The Classics: All You Need To Know, from Zeus's Throne to the Fall of Rome is informative and entertaining, a very handy way to refresh what I know about the ancient Greeks and Romans. It also managed to fill a few gaps. Whether you need a refresher, want to teach Junior a thing or two about ancient Greece and Rome, or like to shine in an educated conversation, this is a book for you. Our modern society and culture have been impacted tremendously by all aspects of the classics, and I think it's really beneficial to know it all - "from Zeus's Throne to the Fall of Rome". Caroline Taggart's book will help you do just that without having to dig through tons of textbooks and reference tomes.
Thanks to FSB Associates, one lucky reader will win a copy of The Classics: All You Need To Know, from Zeus's Throne to the Fall of Rome by Caroline Taggart!
To enter, please comment below what's the last good book you've read.
You may do any and all of the following for extra chances to win:
- follow me on twitter and tweet about this giveaway, feel free to copy and paste: "Win The Classics by Caroline Taggart! #Giveaway ends 9/29 @aitmama #win #contests #books #backtoschool http://tinyurl.com/2bn56kr" – you may do this once a day;
- go here for additional ways to get extra entries.
Disclosure / Disclaimer: No monetary compensation was obtained for this post. I received a complimentary product to facilitate this review. The opinions expressed here are mine and may differ from yours.