Wednesday, September 08, 2010 Posted by Dina N
Good veterinary care does not come cheap. According to the American Pet Products Association, vet bills topped $11 billion across the nation in 2008. Pet health insurance plans are a way to control costs. Kroger offers pet health insurance through PetFirst Healthcare and can save pet owners up to 90 percent on their bill.
September is National Pet Health Insurance month, and Kroger is inviting pet owners to learn more about policy options for their furry friends. Pet insurance can provide coverage for the unexpected, and allow better budgeting of expenses. Some plans, such as the accident-only pet insurance plan, cover treatment after an injury or an accident, such as a car collision or unintentional ingestion. A more inclusive policy can cover preventative care, such as teeth cleaning, flea control, annual exams and behavioral training. Pet insurance can provide peace of mind for pet owners, knowing they will not be stuck making a decision between proper care for their pet and possible “economic” euthanasia.
If you’re looking to benefit from obtaining a pet insurance policy, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Get the coverage you want. Take the time to review what policies are available. Decide how much you are willing to spend on the monthly premium and match that with the benefits of each plan.
- Buy early. Most, if not all pet insurance providers will refuse a pet with a preexisting condition. It’s best to seek coverage from Day 1 to avoid the possibility of a preexisting condition.
- Know your coverage. Not all treatments will be covered, and what’s covered varies from policy to policy. Because pet owners pay out-of-pocket and then file a claim for reimbursement, some pet owners may not know a treatment isn’t covered until their claim is denied.
One of my readers will win a $20 Kroger gift card to help with pet expenses!
To enter, please comment below with the name of your favorite pet.
You may do any and all of the following for extra chances to win:
- follow Kroger's Pet Health on twitter;
- follow me on twitter and tweet about this giveaway, feel free to copy and paste: "Win $20 Kroger #giftcard 2 celebrate your #pets! #Giveaway ends 9/30 @aitmama @PetsOfHealth @KrogerDeals #win #contests http://tiny.cc/zddkk" – you may do this once a day;
- go here for additional ways to get extra entries.
Disclosure / Disclaimer: Kroger provided me with a $20 gift card from its One-Stop Gift Card Shop so that I could select my pet-related products at Kroger, as well as a gift card for one of my readers so they could do the same. Information and image used in this post was provided by the company or the PR firm. No monetary compensation was received.