Thursday, July 07, 2011 Posted by Dina N
With the ocean her home, an ochre sea star hunts for her morning meal. She folds over her rays and grips the rocky shore with sticky feet as she feasts on shellfish. When she takes too long, the tide flows back without her, and Sea Star becomes easy prey for a seagull. But she is built to survive and returns to the sea, although with one less ray.
Through inspiring words and stunning pictures, the fascinating world of a small but mighty sea creature is brought to light.
Star of the Sea is a non-fiction book for kids. It tells the fascinating true story of the star fish. The book follows this remarkable sea creature for one day - from her breakfast of shellfish to losing a ray to a hungry bird. My daughter and I learned quite a bit about the star fish, thanks to Janet Halfmann's new book. The illustrations are beautiful and perfectly complement the story.
If you are not familiar with Janet Halfmann's books for children, you should also check out Fur and Feathers and Good Night, Little Sea Otter. Her books are fun and educational and make a wonderful addition to our family library.
One lucky US reader will win a copy of Star of the Sea: A Day in the Life of a Starfish by Janet Halfmann!
To enter, please visit Janet Halfmann's site and comment below with the title of another book that you'd like to share with the kids in your life.
For extra entries, feel free to do any or all of the following:
- follow me on twitter and tweet about this giveaway – you can do this once a day, feel free to copy and paste: "#Win a copy of Star of the Sea by @JanetHalfmann! #Giveaway ends 7/28 @aitmama #contests #kids #books #sweeps http://tiny.cc/kedrx";
- tell us who would be enjoying the book if you won;
- follow @JanetHalfmann on twitter;
- if you are a friend of Janet Halfmann on Facebook, let me know below for an extra entry;
- go here for additional ways to get extra entries.
Disclaimer / Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy with no obligation for a positive review. No compensation - monetary or in kind - has been obtained for this post. Photo and book info courtesy of the publisher.